The Complete Guide to Documents Needed to Rent in London
Guest post by Marina from Homie.rent
Whether you are a London newbie or have been living here for a while, the one thing that will speed up your dealings with estate agents and getting the flat of your dreams is having all your documentation in order.
We know how busy it can be to live in London, that’s why at homie.rent we strongly recommend you don’t leave this till last minute – preparation will land you the home of your dreams (especially if you need to coordinate the paperwork with flatmates!).
Here’s what you need to gather:
Proof of income
This bit is complicated, pay attention:
- To pay monthly for your rent you’ll need to prove that you are earning at least 2.5x your annual rent: e.g. a flat is advertised at £1,500 per month, you and your flatmates need to earn at least £3,750pcm to be allowed to pay monthly.
- If you don’t earn that much, you can get around this by paying 6 months upfront. We know this is a lot to pay in one go, but this is likely the easiest option for you unless you have a UK-based guarantor (more on this below)
ID or passport and visa (if needed)
- UK Nationals and EU passport holders can just provide their passport, driving licence or some other government-authorised ID.
- Non-EU passport holders will need to provide their passport and a copy of their visa (for example a student or work visa). Our advice if you don’t have one yet, is to check the Visas and Immigration government website for all information on types of visas and how to apply.
University acceptance letter (students only!)
- To rent in London as a student you also need to provide proof that you are, in fact, a student!
Proof of old address
- You will need up to 3 months worth of old utility bills or bank statements addressed to you at a different address. This can be in a different country and/or your home address.
Landlord references (optional)
- If you have rented before, you may need to provide a reference from a previous landlord. They just want to know you aren’t going to go all ‘Project X’ on their property! ?
It might seem like a lot, but if you are prepared and know exactly what you need, you’ll be able to sign the contract for your new place in no time!
Renting in London can be quite challenging if you are not familiar with rent prices and how competitive it can be to find a good home. That’s why homie.rent exists, we want to simplify your home search to the max: you’ll get a personal home finder to support your search and organise cab viewing tours of the best properties.
You’re well on your way to finding the most efficient way of renting, soon you will be a proud, successful tenant; the ruler of your domain, even if it is a rented domain.
Read other posts
Urban Jungle is a home insurance business, specialising in renters and sharers. We’re using technology to make insurance better for young people, but also care about helping people make life as renter better.
We offer great quality Tenants Liability Insurance and Contents Insurance at competitive prices.
Sign up to our newsletter
We publish great content on all sorts of topics for urban sharers and renters, so be sure to sign up to our newsletter.