12 Common Conflicts with Flatmates and How to Resolve Them
When you’re living with other people no matter if you’ve just met or have known each other since birth, conflicts are unavoidable. The main point is to deal with them head on and not let them escalate into a cold war with mutually assured destruction as the only outcome. We’ve listed 12 common problems and ways to resolve them OR some alternatives in case you just don’t feel like being the bigger person.
2. The Bills Battle
Bills start arriving and your flatmate spent the last of their money on a new ice cream maker. Solutions:
- Open a joint account and get everyone to monthly put in more money than will be needed in case of any unforeseen costs. Any excess can be used to fund the next house party;
- OR become ‘self-sufficient’ – by producing your own electricity with a giant hamster wheel.
3. The Cleaning Clash
You come home from a long day at work to find the kitchen in an absolute mess. Solutions:
- Rather than the traditional cleaning rota, assign everyone specific cleaning tasks, for example you’re responsible to clean the kitchen counter which needs to be done daily but only takes a few minutes and your flatmate in return cleans the windows every 2 weeks which takes an hour;
- OR leave the cleaning supplies in a useful place, such as right in front of your flatmates door.
5. The Decibel Dispute
Your flatmate stumbles through the door at 3am, waking you up while they battle their shoelaces for the next 10 minutes. Solutions:
- Make sure your housemates know if you have to be up early or have an important meeting the next day. Likewise let them know when you intend to be back late;
- OR change the locks every night at 11pm.
8. The Security Scuffle
Is it really that difficult to lock the door or make sure the windows are shut? Solutions:
- Explain that you are concerned and just prefer to err on the side of caution;
- OR leave helpful post-it notes on all doors and windows.
11. The Brexit Brawl
After a long evening of debating current events you realise you find yourself on the other side of the Brexit divide as your flatmate. Solutions
- To be fair, your guess here is as good as ours.
12. The Carelessness Controversy
Your flatmate manages to break the landlord’s sofa. Solution:
- Get home contents insurance which includes tenant liability. To get your Urban Jungle quote click the button below;
- OR by this point it might just be easier to find new flatmates.
Urban Jungle is a home insurance business, specialising in renters and sharers. We’re using technology to make insurance better for young people.
We offer great quality home contents insurance at competitive prices.
To get a quote click the button below.
Sign up for our newsletter
To find out about all of our latest developments, and benefit from any special offers we’re running, sign up to our email list below.